African Tech Startups Funding Report 2020 & Full Startup List
The year 2020 was a record-breaking one for African tech startups, with 397 companies securing US$701.5 million worth of investment.
For the sixth consecutive year, Disrupt Africa is releasing data on the tech investment ecosystem across Africa, contained in the African Tech Startups Funding Report 2020.
The report details how Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa and Egypt are the premier investment destinations on the continent, though funding is also on the rise elsewhere. Fintech remains the dominant sector, and the number of investors grew substantially. All this while the world was gripped by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year’s edition of the African Tech Startups Funding Report, and the list of funded startups on which it draws, is available FREE as a result of an open-sourcing initiative in partnership with Catalyst Fund, RTB House, Quona Capital, 4Di Capital, Villgro Africa, Lateral Capital, and Otundi Ventures. We thank our partners for their assistance in ensuring this vital data makes it into the hands of as many entrepreneurs as possible.
The report includes:
- Detailed information on funding activity in six African countries;
- Figures on the number of deals per location, and average deal sizes;
- Data on growth in funds and deals over the past six years;
- Highlights of key deals across continent;
- Sector-specific breakdowns across 13 sectors;
- Tracking of acquisitions in 2020.
- The full list of 397 funded tech startups from across Africa, detailing location, sector, when funding was secured and, where we are able to disclose, the investors and approximate amount raised. Any funding amounts disclosed confidentially do not appear in the list.
*** Type "0" when asked to "name a fair price" to get this product for FREE ***